Gary M Yaffe
Gary is a shareholder at Owen Bird with a history of successfully closing transactions on behalf of his clients. His integrity, focus on client service and years of experience have made his advice indispensable in structuring sound loan and real estate transactions.
Gary inspires confidence in his clients through his meticulous and logical analysis of the transaction landscape, and his ability to communicate a plan of action clearly and effectively. Gary derives much satisfaction in resolving complex issues with creative and practical solutions.
Gary acts for clients in the lending and real estate sectors, including financial institutions, private lenders, a government agency and property owners. His practice has focused primarily on the negotiation and completion of a wide range of complex loan and real estate transactions involving commercial, industrial, hospitality, recreational and residential properties. Gary has acted on the secured financing and acquisition of apartment complexes, strata title projects, hotel properties, private hospitals and care facilities, and other commercial properties.
Gary has authored and presented papers and has given seminars in his field of expertise, and has taught courses at the Law Society of British Columbia’s Professional Legal Training Course. He has also served on the board of directors of a number of charitable organizations.
Outside of his legal practice Gary has an active family life with his wife, two daughters and one dog, and enjoys golfing, skiing, hiking, reading and traveling.
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 1994
- Called to Ontario Bar, 1993
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Toronto, 1991
- Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy), McGill University, 1987
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada
- Board of Directors, Richmond Jewish Day School (2006-2008, 2010-2014)
- Board of Directors, Tikva Housing Society (formerly Non-Profit Housing Society, Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver) (2004-2006, 2009)
- Board of Directors, Maple Crest Building Society (2005, 2006)
- Board of Directors, Habitat For Humanity (1999)