James D Burns
Jim practices in the area of Wills, Estates, Trusts, Tax and Estate Planning and is a Past President of the Estate Planning Council of Vancouver.
He has acted as counsel for a number banks and trust companies in trust lending and estate administration matters and for a number of investment firms in estate compliance matters. A former banker and corporate commercial lawyer, Jim specializes in advising families with business succession issues.
A past Chair of the Wills and Trusts Section of the Canadian Bar Association, Jim has been involved in both Continuing Legal Education programs in the Wills and Estates area and in committee work for the Law Institute of British Columbia, advising the Province on legislative changes in the area of Testate Succession.
Outside the firm, Jim is a Director of the Princess Louisa International Society, a charitable society dedicated to the preservation of Princess Louisa Inlet, sometimes referred to as “Yosemite North”. He is a Past Commodore of the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club and a keen sailor, having represented Canada in a number of International events.
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 1979
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 1978
- B.A. (Econ-Comm), Simon Fraser University, 1977
- Associate, Institute of Canadian Bankers, 1973
- Past President & Life Member, Estate Planning Council of Vancouver
- Past Chair, Canadian Bar Association, Wills and Trusts Section
LexisNexis - Martindale-Hubbell 2006-2020: Rated "Distinguished"
Best Lawyers In Canada 2015-2020 - Trusts & Estates