Pamela E Sheppard
Pam is a shareholder with a broad range of experience in the British Columbia Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. Her assertive litigation style is paired with a focus on providing practical advice which consistently results in meaningful victories for her clients, both inside and outside of the courtroom.
Pam acts for clients in a diverse range of practice areas. In her defamation cases, Pam has prosecuted and defended libel and slander actions on behalf of a wide spectrum of clients from individuals to national media outlets. These actions often include other disputes relating to the intellectual property of the parties, including trademark and copyright issues. Pam also has particular experience obtaining court-ordered disclosure of information relating to anonymous internet bloggers and commenters from internet service providers and website hosts before a lawsuit has even been filed. Without this disclosure, it would often be impossible for her clients to name a defendant in their actions.
In the family law context, Pam has litigated child and spousal support issues, valuation and division of property between spouses, as well as child custody and guardian disputes in complex matrimonial cases. Outside of court, Pam has drafted cohabitation, marriage and separation agreements that have resolved the most personal of issues in an amicable way for her clients.
Pam also acts in judicial review and injunction proceedings involving First Nations consultation and accommodation disputes, generally on behalf of project proponents.
In the community, Pam is actively involved with mentoring young lawyers in Vancouver, sits on the executive committee of the CBA Animal Law section and on the board of directors of SAD Mag, a local arts and culture magazine.
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 2010
- Juris Doctor (Business Law), University of British Columbia, 2009
- Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, 2006
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ad IDEM/Canadian Media Lawyers Association
- Friedlander v. Claman, 2016 BCCA 434
- Taseko Mines Limited v. Western Canada Wilderness Committee, 2016 BCSC 109
- British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association v. Zakharia, 2015 BCSC 1650
- Ktunaxa Nation v. British Columbia (Forest, Lands and Natural Resource Operations), 2015 BCCA 352
- Ktunaxa Nation v. British Columbia (Forest, Lands and Natural Resource Operations), 2014 BCSC 568
- British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association v. Zakharia, 2014 BCSC 2244